Dandruff is a common inflammation of the skin. In medically it is known as Seborrheic dermatitis. This can result in red spots or crust on the skin, resulting in oily bark. The most common places that are getting dandruff is the skin of the head, eyebrows eyelids, nasal edges, lips, skin behind the ear. In addition, the middle part of the chest, the lower extremities of the breast, pelvis, and the nipples occur. Occasionally this condition can be found in the whole body.
More than 50% of adults have this. This condition is common in the people who are suffering from parking disease, HIV and stroke. It is common for males rather than females.
The following factors contribute to dandruff.
- Excessive sweating
- Excessive tiredness
- Oily and dry skin
- Excessive hot or cold weather
- Dandruff can be found in genetically also
- Use alcohol-containing coatings
- Not cleaning the skin frequently
- Not using shampoo regularly
- Skin diseases like acne
- Having deficiencies in vitamin B and zink
Symptoms and treatments
- Oily white scales, red spots or crust on the skin
- White powder or bark can be seen on the shoulders or inside the head between hair
- Dry skin on the head
- Itchy on the head
Above are major symptoms of this disease. We can just control this but we can’t cure it. The best solution is to use shampoo regularly. Shampoo can reduce the oily nature of the skin and can remove the skin bark. If you are unable to control with normal shampoo you can use dandruff shampoo. But keep in your mind not to use the shampoo with detergents. There are some types of shampoo that can use for this.
- Shampoo containing coal and tar. They can reduce the amount of skin bark
- Zinc pyrithione shampoo. They can reduce the growth of fungi and bacteria.
- Shampoo containing salicylic acid. They can reduce the amount of skin bark. But the creates a very dry skin on the head. Therefore it can cause to have this again.
- Shampoo having Ketoconazole. This is a fungal control shampoo.
Zinc pyrithione shampoo and Shampoo containing salicylic acid are the best choices for dandruff.
Before add shampoo to the head, you can comb the hair. This helps to remove the loose skin parts. After that add shampoo and massage the head for about 5 minutes. Until control the condition you can use shampoo regularly. After that, you can use two or three times a week.
Things you can do to control dandruff
- Have a healthy and balanced diet
- Control mental stress
- Avoid hair spray and using gel. Especially alcohol-containing ointments.
- Spend time outdoors. As sunlight can helps to reduce this.
- Avoid using of hair dryers
- Daily bathing